Followers

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Our Day Exploring Fairfield Glade, TN


Phil makes the best breakfasts! I have always thought that the best part of camping out is breakfast. Granted, our tent is hard, but we are at a campground!


After a very relaxing morning, enjoying the serene lake view, we were ready to explore the Crossville area. We had heard that there is a Wednesday Farmer’s Market in Fairfield Glade, so we headed in that direction. Fairfield Glade is located in the Cumberland Plateau. At 2000’ elevation, it is on the highest point between the Rocky and Smokey Mountains. That’s why it is so nice and cool here, and there seems to always be a slight breeze – very nice weather. Fairfield Glade has built itself up to be a golfer’s retirement haven. We don’t golf, but the courses are beautiful.


We were early for the Farmer’s Market, so we visited the Art Guild at Fairfield Glade and caught the end of a juried show of local artists. Still with time to spare, we stumbled upon a putt-putt golf course and Phil challenged me to 18 holes. He won. The course was set in the woods, and was a very pleasant way to pass an hour.




Then, it was off to the Farmer’s Market. I had plans for using up some goat cheese and tomatoes that I had, so I needed fresh basil. (Thanks, Lisa and Terri, for getting me hooked on Bruschetta.) We also picked up some beautiful pole beans, onions, lettuce, cayenne peppers, cage-free eggs, and freshly dug potatoes. I already miss the access to good organically grown veggies that are so readily available in Chattanooga, but will settle for locally grown, freshly picked.



We made a quick stop at the Fairfield Glade Conference Center to get information on the area. We loaded up with ideas on things to do the rest of the week, and over the Fourth of July.


Back at the RV, we spent the rest of the day relaxing in the hammock. We met our neighbors, Gloria and John, a couple from Illinois that have retired in the Smokey Mountains. They are considering a move to the Villages in Florida. After happy hour, spent feeding the ducks and enjoying the Bruschetta, we made a nice dinner of grilled sirloin fajitas.




Phil picked up True Grit at Redbox, so we spent the evening watching Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges. Yes, I cried and laughed, which makes for a good movie.



Life is good and Hanni is happy.


10 comments:

Barb said...

Beautiful day - you make me want to make some Bruschetta. Great photos - I have to say, Hanni looks like a very wise dog. I love dogs with great faces. :)

Travels with Emma said...

I just love farmer's markets. Could you tell me what Bruschetta is?

Deborah said...

Donna, Hanni is a wise dog, thanks for recognizing that!

Judy, bruschetta is chopped tomatoes, garlic, and basil mixed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I love it on slices of toasted French baguette spread with a little goat cheese. Yum!

Merikay said...

That sounds like a wonderful area, especially the words about it being cool.

Sue and Doug said...

gotta love smell of bacon frying and coffee perking when you are 'camping'!!..love the shot of you and Hanni!!..perfection!

Sue and Doug said...

oh and bruschetta is delicious..we make it the same way..love goat cheese!!..the combination with the tomatoes, basil and balsamic?..delicious!!!

Nancy and Bill said...

Looks like you have adjusted to the full-timing lifestyle quite nicely!!

We will be following along and enjoying your travels:o)

Safe Travels and Happy Trails.....

squawmama said...

Wow... now I am hungry!!! Love breakfast outside and my honey is also the breakfast cook. And Bruchetta.. good no matter how it is made!!!
And Hanni... what can I say but GORGEOUS!!!
Have fun & Travel safe
Donna

Rorik said...

It does look like life is good. Glad to see that full-timing is agreeing with you.

owensontheroad said...

Deborah! I like your new home. I lost you off the side of my blog, and just caught up with the latest...good for you!!